Post Match report for the Middlesbrough game - Saturday, 13th April 2013
Middlesbrough 0 : 2 Brighton
There were five matches to go as Albion breezed into Teesside. Despite lack of wins compared to other top ten sides, Seagulls were still tied into the last play-off berth. This season was proving more competitive than ever in the Championship but for all that actually meant, a knockout qualifying points tally could merely be around 72points - so three here would help.
Ankergren, Calderon, Greer, Upson, Bridge, Hammond, Bridcutt, Crofts, David, Ulloa, Orlandi.
1 min. visitors are set up defensively in a loose 451 on a watered pitch during a nice spring afternoon up north.
3. Brighton defends a corner and Ulloa is stationed with rearguard in the area to head clear. We break up field.
6. Boro has a fairly young eleven selected and travellers try to get a passing game established for early control.
9. tempo is brisk but neither outfit can impose a period of possession at present. Bridge does well on left flank.
10. Ulloa is decked up front but Ref is non-plussed. Boro break and test reserve keeper Ankergren who saves.
13. corner to Seagulls is taken short. Following a second set piece, Bridcutt sends the ball over which is cleared
17. locals come forward after a spell by Albion and build slowly from the back. The away defence stays solid.
20. corner to Boro is defended and then Crofts blocks. The ball goes back to attackers and they take a potshot.
22. Ulloa roams alone at point of BHA shape and is looking for more support from midfield at counter moves.
26. Bridge has been pushing on and also wide men Orlandi and David. Albion are caught off side to a late flag.
28. Hammond goes down to a late challenge. From the f-k Albion press again but it all fizzles out rather tamely.
32. there is no cohesion so far during threats from both sides and back lines appear well in charge at this stage.
36. Ankergren collects the ball routinely, although neither goalie has been unduly tested by opposition strikers
38. visitors are under pressure and from a corner to the home unit, Ulloa doubles as a defender in full support.
40. Boro pen shout turned down by Ref. Albion stand firm and keep possession while going forward once more
44. atmosphere at the Riverside is ramped up when locals react to Ulloa taking a knock. He is booked though.
45+ Albion have kept it clean, although could have probed further into opponents area and tested their custodian. After h-t, Gus will want to score the first goal and/or then make subs accordingly to go on and win it.
46. Ankergren is called into action when Albion loses possession and the home unit are handed a free chance.
50. a predictable pattern of ebb and flow settles on this match and it is up to Albion to go make the play now.
51. visitors begin to assert and Hammond gets a chance after good work by Ulloa. Bridge goes forward again.
53. useful run by Bridge breaks down when his centre goes begging. Boro counter immediately and fire over.
57. Seagulls are pushing forward in numbers but cannot make an incisive movement to create another chance.
59. a break down the right and Hammond works hard to supply the centre as ORLANDI comes across for a dig.
60. Boro sub but Albion men who were warming up have returned to the bench while Gus decides new tactics.
65. Seagulls start to knock it about with fluency and confidence is high. David cross and Ulloa just fails up high.
68. locals gain a corner and their threat is absorbed. The home unit make two further changes simultaneously.
70. the game is now very open and there are spaces that can be exploited between areas and also on flanks.
72. yellow card for Hammond following more pressure from the away side as a vital second goal is sought.
73. DAVID chips the keeper who gets stranded in no mans land. Momentum has been ongoing with visitors.
77. travellers are working as a team in each third and Ulloa is well supported but also gets back to defend.
80. Brighton are on top and penetrating up front but solid when forming up behind in a final line of defence.
83. corner to the home unit is headed out by Ulloa who has covered miles. David is replaced by Dicker in m-f.
85. Boro attempt a late rally but Albion soak up most of their efforts as other chances go begging harmlessly.
89. corner to locals gets booted away and Albion want to keep it clean until the end of this important occasion.
90+ Orlandi is withdrawn for Forster-Caskey. Brighton takes all three points and have produced a professional performance to boot. Onward and upward.