Post-match report for our last game: Norwich City, Friday, 21st April 2017
Norwich 2 : 0 Brighton
Table-toppers who had been promoted to the Premier League with victory in the previous fixture at the Amex, were visiting East Anglia on a Friday night knowing three points would gain Championship silverware.
Chris Hughton made four changes to the eleven fielded versus Wigan at home. Bong, Stephens, Kayal & Hemed were rested. In came Pocognoli, Sidwell, Norwood & Murphy.
Stockdale, Bruno, Huenemeier, Dunk, Pocognoli, Knockaert, Norwood, Sidwell, March, Murphy, Murray.
1min. Canaries kick off and the ball goes right through to Stockdale. F-k to locals deep in their half does not offer a threat.
3. visitors battle for possession in middle of the park and Knockaert feeds Murphy who uses pace to push up and cross.
5. locals press and cause havoc in travellers defence with a simple throw, one-two and centre across the area - goalkick.
6. corner to Seagulls after a shot by Knockaert is cleared but March picks it up. Albion come forward again, Murphy heads.
8. play in centre of the park is indecisive as both sides settle to find a rhythm. The crowd is noisy and the atmosphere lively.
11. Brighton build & Bruno feeds Knockaert down the line. Bruno passes to Murphy who runs the channel & gains a corner.
14. f-k to City following ebb & flow at each end is wasted and possession passes back to visitors after a foul. Play is scrappy.
16. combativeness gets into the contest and Ref is on his whistle again. A long ball from Stockdale goes up toward Murray.
19. City take the lead when they strike the bar and the rebound goes in off Stockdale. Ref books Knockaert & a City player.
22. f-k to Canaries is sent deep into the area & the header goes over the bar. Albion need to regain concentration & focus.
24. corner to locals presents another threat as travellers are on the back foot defending the area. Then another set piece.
27. Canaries are dictating order of events while the away team is floundering to put cohesive moves together just now.
29. corner to Albion is curled in but headed out. A second ball in is headed by Huenemeier but the keeper saves his effort.
32. Brighton come forward when March & Knockaert get involved but the move peters out & possession is lost too easily.
35. Knockaert loses the ball and City counter. Bruno obtains the ball and relieves the situation. Brighton build very slowly.
37. Murphy is o/s. Goalkick to locals. Huenemeier is injured. F-k to visitors but the ball is wasted and Ref waves play on.
39. Knockaert goes on a run backed by Bruno in support and the cross is good. Murphy goes down in the area - no penalty.
40. Albion are in disarray as the City player has too much time & space to shoot & the ball enters the net via Stockdale.
43. travellers attempt to work some comprehensive movement into forays up field but most excursions carry little threat.
45+ Albion go into the interval in a daze as locals have not read the script and have overrun visitors midfield without too much trouble. A very big effort is required during the second period if Seagulls are to rescue a point.
46. Seagulls shape up for the next 45 minutes after turn around but are on the defensive - Canaries claim for a penalty.
49. a sporadic foray forward is cut out by locals rearguard who are running the show at the back against a lacklustre attack.
52. Albion midfield is getting the run around and more bite is needed in there. They push up and gain a corner - total waste
53. Norwich counter from the set piece & reach blue & white third. Hughton & Trollope are in discussions on the touch line
56. some momentum from travellers sees them access the opposition half but again to no avail. Seagulls then get a corner.
58. Murray heads in the area but the chance is lost. F-k to Albion from deep is lifted over the wall by Pocognoli but is high.
61. past the hour mark Seagulls are chasing the game but movement is way too slow as the home team sit back in depth.
63. Norwood is replaced by Stephens, while Knockaert goes off for Hemed in a double swap. Brighton forward - but no go.
66. f-k to travellers goes long but there is a lack of precision from these passes that just returns possession to opposition.
69. time begins to run down and visitors are not putting in sufficient a performance to get back in the game at this stage.
71. f-k to Albion is totally wasted. This display is sub-standard from the division leaders and at this moment will fail to score
74. Canaries defence has been on top & when soaking up lacklustre movement from travellers then counter attack quickly.
76. a short excursion into the City final third which is quite ponderous gives something of a chance for Murray - fires wide.
80. Albion fans are chanting but it is a facade to cover witnessing this disappointing display. Bruno brings down his marker.
83. another ineffective probe comes to nought. Murray is withdrawn and Akpom inserted. Seagulls struggle to progress.
86. Brighton movement has been pedestrian which allowed the home team time to easily form up with two bank of four.
87. double change by Canaries. Visitors appear to have accepted defeat with a poor attacking display that is way under par.
88. City double goal hero is given a standing ovation as he leaves the field when substituted. BHA show forward movement
90+ Albion are beaten a little too easily. They failed to score or keep a clean sheet. Party celebrations appear to have taken a toll. It is now imperative that BHA win the last home fixture next week.