Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The view from the top
PNWseagull
THE EAST STAND TERRACING

[*] posted on 24/9/2012 at 04:01 Reply With Quote
The view from the top

Early days yet, I know, and I am certainly not booking us a place in the Premier League, but I am curious to know what other forum participants see thus far in the season. Obviously form can change, injuries mount, etc. I ask because I have little ability to really understand the quality of most of the teams in the Championship, aside from online reports, etc.

So for those of you with a good understanding of the real strengths and weaknesses of the clubs in the Championship, where do you see Albion at present? Do you honestly feel that we have the quality to be a top two club? Top six club? And what clubs do you think match or exceed us in overall quality at least at this early stage of the season?

We have Seagulls (and their supporters) on the Left Coast of the US, as well!
publicschoolboy
THE LEGO STAND

[*] posted on 24/9/2012 at 16:09 Reply With Quote

From what we've seen so far this season can only be judged on the teams that we've played against. We need to play the so called big boys first before we get a true picture. So far so good.

Back in the ring to take another swing
Wardywonderland
FALMER STADIUM

[*] posted on 24/9/2012 at 17:00 Reply With Quote

Sheff Wed were doing well until they met us. Cardiff couldn't break us down so I'm not 100% sure who the big boys are. Blackpool will be a big test as they will be up there at the end of the season. I think we've got a lot more strength in depth now so that if/when we have injuries, we can cope better with the players that we have. A good example happened on Saturday when Bruno (who is class) had to come off, we had Calde ready to come on and prove that he's as good as ever.
I think we can be there or thereabouts but sometimes need a slice of luck as well. It's going to be an exciting time whatever happens.

I do want to play the short ball and I do want to play the long ball. I think long and short balls is what football is about. Sir Bobby Robson
Spimunk
THE WEST STAND

[*] posted on 24/9/2012 at 18:47 Reply With Quote

Well, the Championship has a lot of so called "big boys" in the likes of the relegated three from the Premiership, Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves. But then you also have Birmingham, Blackpool, Cardiff, Middlesborough, Leicester, Ipswich & Leeds who have all been in the Premiership since it formed and all have money to spend, well most of them. Leeds especially who have been a "big" team for years and years but when they did get relegated, never made it back up.

Personally, I think we have a squad to rival most in the league now, with the best two starting full backs in Bridge and Bruno. We now have the depth there, as pointed out excellently by Wardy in his Bruno/Calde comment but also now, all over the pitch, we have great replacements for injuries. So much so, we really haven't missed Vicente which is just unbelievable for us, a "small" club

It's moved to it's own domain!

Check out http://www.allaboutalbion.com - Albion videos, photos & you can join in too!
Alastair8fb
WITHDEAN STADIUM

Mood: Seagulls!

[*] posted on 25/9/2012 at 06:07 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Spimunk
Well, the Championship has a lot of so called "big boys" in the likes of the relegated three from the Premiership, Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves. But then you also have Birmingham, Blackpool, Cardiff, Middlesborough, Leicester, Ipswich & Leeds who have all been in the Premiership since it formed and all have money to spend, well most of them. Leeds especially who have been a "big" team for years and years but when they did get relegated, never made it back up.

Personally, I think we have a squad to rival most in the league now, with the best two starting full backs in Bridge and Bruno. We now have the depth there, as pointed out excellently by Wardy in his Bruno/Calde comment but also now, all over the pitch, we have great replacements for injuries. So much so, we really haven't missed Vicente which is just unbelievable for us, a "small" club

Barnsley have also been in the Premiership!

Follow me on twitter: @ali_rrr https://twitter.com/Ali_rrr
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
publicschoolboy
THE LEGO STAND

[*] posted on 25/9/2012 at 14:56 Reply With Quote

Look further down the leagues at poor Coventry. Once a big club and now languishing near the bottom of their division. New stadium a short time ago with Jon Gaunt telling all on Talk sport how they were premiership bound. It has to be a warning.

PNWseagull
THE EAST STAND TERRACING

[*] posted on 26/9/2012 at 03:18 Reply With Quote

Thanks for the insightful posts. Although I am familiar with the classic "big clubs" currently in the Championship, I have little at my disposal to evaluate their current quality relative to ours.

I have felt similarly that our depth is better this year than in recent years, a fact that will help mitigate for whatever injuries may befall the club and for players falling out of form.

It certainly looks as though this season is going to be highly entertaining.

We have Seagulls (and their supporters) on the Left Coast of the US, as well!
Spimunk
THE WEST STAND

[*] posted on 26/9/2012 at 16:42 Reply With Quote

We are in much better shape as a squad this year for sure. The new signings have really given the existing squad a shot in the arm!

Check out http://www.allaboutalbion.com - Albion videos, photos & you can join in too!
Wardywonderland
FALMER STADIUM

[*] posted on 26/9/2012 at 17:05 Reply With Quote

Quote:
We are in much better shape as a squad this year for sure. The new signings have really given the existing squad a shot in the arm!

It's great that we have a proven striker with Dobbie as it appears that CMS will be out for at least a week with injury.

I do want to play the short ball and I do want to play the long ball. I think long and short balls is what football is about. Sir Bobby Robson
publicschoolboy
THE LEGO STAND

[*] posted on 26/9/2012 at 20:25 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Wardywonderland
Quote:

It's great that we have a proven striker with Dobbie as it appears that CMS will be out for at least a week with injury.

We will also have Hoskins back in the mix but for how long is unsure.

Wardywonderland
FALMER STADIUM

[*] posted on 27/9/2012 at 05:53 Reply With Quote

I'm still not sure Hoskins will play for us again as his squad number has disappeared from the main site.

anna
FALMER STADIUM

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6/10/2012 at 06:02 Reply With Quote

I am nervous currently about where we are going - and I hope we can win today to restore some confidence. Fingers, arms, legs and anything else I have got will be crossed.:D COME ON BOYS!!

Never stop believing - Brighton forever!!
Wardywonderland
FALMER STADIUM

[*] posted on 6/10/2012 at 20:58 Reply With Quote

You must have forgotten to cross something Anna, as the job was only half done. ;)

Spimunk
THE WEST STAND

[*] posted on 6/10/2012 at 21:22 Reply With Quote

A point away from home is always good but you can't help thinking it was another two thrown away

Wardywonderland
FALMER STADIUM

[*] posted on 7/10/2012 at 13:14 Reply With Quote

Quote:
A point away from home is always good but you can't help thinking it was another two thrown away

I was at the game and of the opinion that it was a point gained especially with the two superb saves that Kuszczak pulled out of the bag near the end.

Spimunk
THE WEST STAND

[*] posted on 7/10/2012 at 14:00 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Wardywonderland
Quote:

I was at the game and of the opinion that it was a point gained especially with the two superb saves that Kuszczak pulled out of the bag near the end.

It seemed to be from the usually short highlights on the football league show but with Greer and Hammond at the end, it was so close to being more. But we're still up there and its only the beginning of October

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top